Perhaps you’ve been curious what one of these “fortune tellers” would tell you about your life, your relationship, or your career. Maybe you’re feeling unsure about a particular course of action, and are wondering if having a reading would clarify your options. So what’s stopping you? Maybe you’re unsure how the process works. If so, this uncertainty is probably tied to one or more of the following questions:
• How do you know if a particular reader is “good”?
• Which tool is most accurate? Is it better to have a reading with tarot cards, runes, crystals, or nothing at all?
• Will the psychic be able to see all my deep, dark secrets?
Everyone has psychic potential (yes, everyone). It’s true some are born with greater psychic sensitivity than others, but that doesn’t mean a “born psychic” will be any more accurate than a “trained” one. Psychic sensitivity is a skill, and can be developed and honed just like any other. It sends up a red flag when I see things like “natural born psychic,” “hereditary psychic,” or “So-And-So has been psychic for many lifetimes” printed on other readers’ brochures or business cards. Though I had pronounced psychic ability from a young age, I feel like trumpeting this on my printed marketing materials would be slightly pretentious and a little sensational.
That said it’s alright to ask a reader how long they’ve provided readings. Get a feel for their experience and talk with them about how they work. Do they offer an audio recording of your session? What tool(s) do they use, if any (tarot cards, runes, etc.)? Why did they choose that tool? Check in with yourself emotionally and mentally. Do you feel comfortable with this person? If so, ask for the reading. If not, don’t hesitate to leave and seek out another reader who is a better fit.
Many of the most skilled and in-demand readers share a common profile:
- They share their gifts in ways that encourage and support the growth of their clients while also creating joy and prosperity for themselves.
- They communicate the information they receive accurately, truthfully, compassionately, and without ego or judgement.
- They enjoy reading for clients who place value on personal growth.
- They attempt to help clients reframe disempowering questions to uncover the underlying opportunities for growth. For example, Is my partner cheating on me? becomes What can I do to experience deeper love and trust in my relationship? and Will I be rich someday? becomes What can I do to find work that is prosperous and joyful?
- They may refuse to read for clients unwilling to accept responsibility for their own growth. Clients who can’t make a decision without consulting their psychic or those who believe they are victims of circumstance are good examples. It is not a reader’s place to tell anyone else what to do or how to live. While unscrupulous readers will happily take these people’s money and tell them what they want to hear, the best readers will not. Instead they’ll encourage the client to recognize their beauty and worth by claiming their lessons as their own.
Also I don’t ask my clients to verbalize their questions before I begin an in-person or phone reading, though I’ve met many readers that do. One way isn’t necessarily right and the other wrong, but I have found (through self-observation and by observing other readers) that those who ask you to speak your question aloud may be doubting themselves and/or be more focused on telling you what you want to hear instead of what they truly see.
Which tool is most accurate? Are tarot cards better than runes?
Society at large is probably most familiar with the tarot cards, which usually comes to mind first when one thinks of psychic readings. In truth there are as many ways to give a psychic reading as there are people offering them. Some use tarot, some use runes. Others may use your palms, crystals, coins, or pendulums. Some might use nothing at all! So how do you know what kind of reading is best?
Tarot cards, runes, etc. are like any other tool – they don’t do the work by themselves. One is not inherently “better” or more accurate than any other. It’s the skill, intent, and integrity of the reader that makes the difference. Let me say that again – it’s the skill, intent, and integrity of the reader that makes the difference.
I’ve studied the Elder Futhark Runes for almost 20 years, and have used them to give psychic readings for about 15. I’ve read at a few different locations in the greater Seattle, Washington area including the occult bookstore I owned for a couple of years. I’ve spent many hours reading, meditating, and writing on the meanings of the runes. Experience is not the only measure of skill, but it does play a prominent role.
Will the psychic be able to see things I don’t want them to?
Maybe, maybe not. But a reader with integrity won’t judge you on what they see. The best readers out there are actively working toward greater self-improvement and are humbled and honored by a request to assist you with yours.
The bottom line? Take your time, ask questions, and find a reader you “click” with. Focus more on how you feel when you’re with them instead of what they say in their brochure or how many tarot decks they have.
For recommendations to psychic readers I personally know and trust, click the Resources tab along the top nav bar.
If you’d like to receive a psychic reading from me, click the Psychic Readings tab at the top of the page to learn how.